Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLI)

There are so many things that Canadian Designated Learning Institutions have to offer for international students looking to study within the country.


For a start, Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) are schools for international students in Canada, and all primary and secondary schools within Canada are Designated Learning Institutions (DLI). But note that not all post-secondary schools in Canada are DLIs, so it’s always important to check to see if your choice of university to study is one of the many certified Canadian Designated Learning Institutions.

What are Canadian Designated Learning Institutions for?

As discussed earlier, Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) are schools for international students in Canada; meaning that, they are schools that have been certified by Canada’s provincial government to admit international students.

That goes to say, if you wish to come down to Canada to study, you will be required to show a letter of acceptance as proof from a Designated Learning Institution in Canada in order to get a Canadian study permit.

And as so, if you must pursue any kind of university degree (bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate’s degree) in Canada as a foreign student, you need to be accepted first by a Designated Learning Institution.

Every Designated Learning Institution in Canada has a unique DLI number that can be found in your study permit application form.

Thus, your DLI number is the number on your study application form that starts with the letter “O”

How Do You Check if a School is Accredited in Canada as a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)?

Here is how to know exactly if a school has been accredited as a DLI in Canada:

Step #1: Go to Canada’s official government’s website

Step #2: Select a Canadian Province or Territory of your choice

Step #3: Go through the list of accredited Canadian Designated Learning Institutions within that province or territory

How to Get a Canadian Study Permit?

Studying in Canada is a two-step process.

The first step involves you applying for a designated learning institution to study in Canada, and once admitted, you will need to get a study permit from the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) that enables you to carry out your studies in Canada.

Applying for a study permit in Canada involves these 4-steps.

On getting your Canadian study permit, you can always switch between designated learning institutions, programs, fields of study, or levels of study without having to apply for a new study permit.

To do this, all you have to do is to contact the IRCC with your intentions to change institutions, while still ensuring that your new choice of institution is a designated learning institution in Canada.

And on acceptance of your transfer request, you will need to get back to the IRCC to notify them of your current change in institutions; This can be done easily online via your MyCIC account.

error: Content is protected !!